Monday, July 30, 2018

Wasted time and frustration 7/30/2018


I played Charlie Brown over the weekend.  But instead of yelling "Aaaauuuuggh!" I was mostly throwing out cuss words, largely those beginning with an "F".  Or "curse" words as they're quaintly called around here. 

So, a month ago, my mom suddenly decided to move back up to Ohio, where she grew up and where several family members still live.  I'm here in Winston-Salem (NC), my sister lives in Greensboro, 20 miles away, and my mom lives right in the middle.  But my sister and I are super busy, and we don't make it to see mom very often.  The same issue moms everywhere complain about.  The kids grow up, and you never see them. 

Anyhow, after several days of communication issues, I made it over to her house to help with the moving sale, after which we were supposed to pack up what she had left, rent a car, and drive her up to Ohio.  But as things turned out, no one showed up for the moving sale, her car hadn't been sold yet, and there were about a million other things that needed to happen still.  That fact ratcheted up both of our stress levels, and it was a crazy weekend.  A few people wandered through the sale yesterday, but nothing sold.  Not a thing.  When the dust settled, it was apparent that my mom's not moving up there this week. 

While there this weekend, I missed the Wine & Rhymes event here, where I usually wind up as "live art," doing my Sharpie thing while the poetry gets spit, and having a good ol' time.  So I missed that.  Also, the new (and awesome) Central library was accepting artwork for their next show here Saturday, one where anyone could bring a piece or two, and I just didn't get anything in that, either. 

Plus I got distracted from my main focus right now, which is trying to scrape up enough money to pay my $700+ court fine, and then I have to put in my community service time to deal with the continuing repercussions from my arrest for buying donuts last fall.  I'm making some money and keeping busy with my artwork, but I don't make very much money at all yet, and my fine is more than I make in a month right now, and I use every bit of what I make just to keep going at this point. 

So that's where my little wannabe art business stands right now.  Oh, and my bank account decided to cancel my account randomly, and give me some new kind of account, so I can't access the money I have in paypal at the moment.  Frustration.  Or, Aaaaauuuggghhh!"

So I've been feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football the last few days.  OK, enough whining, back to work. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Steve, that whole scenario is so sad. I have empathy for you and, believe it or not, your mom.I wish you both only the best. I know you are not religious, but I’ve found that miracles happen when you least expect them. Prayers go up, blessings come down. Love, your auntie Sue

    ReplyDelete

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...