Tuesday, July 31, 2018

It was 20 years ago today...

The way things have worked out, I'm now spending most of my time doing my personal take on classic music photos in my unique Sharpie scribble style.  The latest major drawing is this one of the Beatles, in what I think is a promo photo for the Sgt Pepper's album.  Usually I look for photos with hard shadows, most often live singing or performance pics, because those work best with my particular style.  This photo was just the opposite, being well lit, with no serious shadows, and lots of color.  This photo was requested, and it came out pretty well. 

As the artist, I always see a bunch of little things I'd like to better in every drawing.  Like most artists, I'm hyper critical of my own work, that's how I improve.  But I'm stoked on this one because it wasn't the optimal photo to do in my style, and it came out well anyhow. 

All self-critique aside, it's a cool, highly colorful, contrast to the drawings I usually do, and most important, the buyer was really stoked on it, and that's what's most important when doing paid pieces.  This drawing is Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24".  These drawings take me 30 to 40 hours to do, on average, and I'm now charging $175 for new requests.  If you do the math, you realize that I'm still doing these for well under minimum wage.  It's a long slow grind to build my name and awareness of my work, but it's happening.  I have a continuous 6 to 8 week backlog of work to do, which is a good place to be.  If you're interested in having my do a drawing for you, you can email me at: stevenemig13@gmail.com . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...