Friday, July 13, 2018

Liberty Street/Winston-Salem Art District Murals #6

On a big wall on Liberty Street now, this is the second incarnation of the big tree, one of the first murals done by the old school Winston-Salem art scene posse.  The original was on the big barn-looking building on Trade Street, which is now remodeled into the Sweet Potato and Miss Ora's restaurants.  This version has much more roots (literally and figuratively) than leaves or than the original.  There are a whole bunch of things hidden in the mural to be found using the small key below it.
The mural on the side of The Chronicle building, before they moved to a new location.  The Chronicle is Winston-Salem's long time African-American newspaper.
Closer view of the protesters in the mural above.
This mural on Liberty was done in 2012, when I was driving a taxi here.  I can't tell you how many times I drove by and thought those silhouettes were actually women there painting the mural.  Since I remember them actually out there painting it, I guess that's part of the reason.
These are a couple more of the new murals on the art park mural wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...