Monday, May 21, 2018

Rodney Mullen on getting up again


"What we do is fall."
- Skateboarding pioneer and legend Rodney Mullen

The first time I ever rode a skateboard was at my new neighbors' house shortly after my family moved to Laurel Street in Willard, Ohio in 1976.  I was nine.  This kid Jeff pulled out a thing called a skateboard he said his dad made for him.  It was flat, the shape of a small ironing board, and made from pressed aluminum.  There was no grip tape.  The edges were bent over with some nice craftsmanship.  It had steel roller skate wheels mounted on the bottom.  Jeff set it on these flat rocks that formed a broken walkway to their front door.  He skated across the bumpy rocks easily.  He asked it I wanted to try.  I pushed off, went about a foot, the front wheels crabbed in a crack, and I fell hard on my knee.  It hurt like hell.  I got up and said, "Skateboarding is dumb."  I never intended to do it again.

A year later, after saving my measly allowance (after candy purchases) for nine months, I bought my first skateboard, a green, plastic Scamp board.  I've been skating on and off ever since 1977.  In 1986, a decade later Rodney Mullen taught me how to do pressure flip style kickflips, the non-ollie original version.  I landed the first few on his board on night at The Spot at the Redondo Beach Pier.

But I wound up being a much more serious BMX guy.  I got into it in 1982, raced a while, and then freestyle became my thing for the next 20+ years.  The only reason I don't ride every day now is my weight gained while taxi driving and my lack of a bike at the moment.  I'm working on both of those, and I'll session again in a few months or so.

In 1984, I was out in the street in front of my best friend Darrin's house one night.  I was trying to learn can-can brake endos.  It's a simple trick.  I had been doing curb endos and brake endos for a few weeks at that point.  But taking my left foot off and stretching it over the top tube to the opposite direction just didn't work.  I just couldn't get the coordination down.  At one point, I pushed my leg over while balancing on the front wheel. somehow the bike slipped out form under me, and my feet kicked sideways up in the air.  I was only a couple of feet off the ground, but I landed with my right hip bone hitting the end of the pedal with all my weight behind it.  It was not a bad bail, it just hurt like hell.  I rolled off the bike cussing.  "That's it," I said, "Fuck this freestyle crap.  I QUIT!"

I slowly stood up and hobbled around, whining about the pain in my hip.  For about fifteen minutes, I gave up BMX freestyle forever.  After sitting down for a while, though, I decided to give it another try.  I got back on my bike, and finally pulled off a few decent can-can brake endos.  That's the last time I can remember actually "quitting" riding. Right now I don't ride for the reasons a mentioned, but I haven't quit.  I'm on a hiatus.  I'll ride again.  Giving up riding for good is incomprehensible at this point.
In the years after that night I "quit" because of hip pain, I went on to ride with most of the best riders of the 80's and early 90's at some point.  I wrote or had photos published in 7 BMX magazines.  I've published 40+ zines.  I produced and/or edited 15 bike, skate, and snowboard videos.  I've worked on the crew of over 300 episodes of a dozen different TV shows.  All of those things happened because I first got into BMX freestyle.  None of those things would have ever happened if I had actually given up riding that night in 1984 when I landed on my hip trying a pretty easy trick. One of the many things I've learned from bike riding and skating is that when you fall, you get back up.  Simple to say.  Hard to do on many occasions.  But after a while, it becomes a habit.  After a much longer while, it simply becomes a part of who you are.

I've had a lot of really crazy stuff happen in my life.  You know, little things like getting hit by a Jeep while riding my mountain bike, having a top MMA fighter try to throw me out of my taxi because I wouldn't run over the guy who he just had a bar fight with, or the time I was homeless and a young mountain lion crashed into my campsite.  You know, those weird little things we all deal with from time to time.  By the time those things happened, getting back up and trying again was just my nature.  It wasn't easy, especially through some of the homeless days in Cali and 18 hour long days driving drunk idiots in my taxi.  But I kept going.  Rodney Mullen kept going when his hip locked up.  I watched Tony Hawk try that 900 11 times in 1999 at the X-Games.  He got back up an landed it.  Danny Way at the beginning of the video above.  Mat Hoffman for the last 25 or 30 years.  Some, like me, dealt with weird situations.  Guys like Danny, and Mat, and Tony and many many others dealt with debilitating injuries and unfathomable physical pain.

Why do so many people from the action sports world go on to be talented and successful in so many other ways after the actual sports?  Because, like Rodney says above, "Falling is what we do."  So is getting back up. 

At 14:22 in the clip below, Mat Hoffman tries a trick and bails.  Then he gets up and tries again...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...