Friday, May 18, 2018

Rachel and I got interviewed by Fox 8 WGHP yesterday


Here's one of my favorite examples of the Doodle Wall idea.  Years after beginning to do my Sharpie scribble style drawings, when I started to look up Sharpie art on the internet, Jessie Armand was the best around at this type of black and white work. 

My original start to playing with markers for me way back in 2002 began with seeing a segment on making a doodle wall on big sheets of paper on Cindy Crawford's House of Style show on MTV.  It must have been an old re-run, and it's not a show I ever really took the time to watch.  I was just flipping channels one day, and the doodle wall thing caught my attention.  I tried to do a mural on my wall on paper, and it completely sucked.

 So I just kept playing with markers in different ways until I came up with my unique "scribble style" technique using Sharpies while living in the AAA Electra 99 Gallery owned by Fame Ass Arteest and taxi driving legend, Richard Johnson, in 2005.

Near the beginning of the interview below, you see a partially done drawing of a sea turtle.  That's my take on a photo by Barspinner Ryan Brennan, who's become a hardcore free diver in Hawaii in the last couple years or so.  If he likes the idea, I want to make some prints of the drawing to sell before too long and make us both a bit a cash.

WGHP Fox 8 interview about myself, my Sharpie art, and Rachel White's Designs, Vines, and Wines
(it aired at 6:00 pm, Thursday, 5/17/2018)

 I should have died about 6 or 8 times in the last 20 years.  But I'm still here, just fat, with a mouthful of broken teeth, and I look like death warmed over.  But I'm still here, alive, kicking, drawing and writing.  Seeing myself on video I realized just how rough I look these days.  Dang.

For those of you in the Winston-Salem/Triad area, you can see my Sharpie drawings in person at Rachel's studio: Designs, Vines, and Wines which lives in the Studios at 625, 625 Trade Street in downtown Winston-Salem.  Or you can see some at Earshot Music, across the road from Hanes Mall, at 3254 Silas Creek Parkway, next to Marshall's, also in Winston-Salem.  You can check out a bunch of my artwork on Facebook (Steve Emig in Winston-Salem) or on my Pinterest page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...