Sunday, May 27, 2018

The White Bear Podcast... sort of

 That's Rachel, second from the left, leaning over to help someone during one of her Create & Sip events.
 Here's me in the the BMX days, doing a wall ride over my sister Cheri's head.  The Blues Brother Wall in Huntington Beach, 1990, still from my self-produced video, The Ultimate Weekend.  Below is the Michael Jackson drawing of mine we talk about in the interview.  It's in the front window of Rachel's studio right now.

At 23:20 in this radio show, you hear Rachel White start her interview with me.  As most of you know, I'm doing a weird, unique form or Sharpie artwork these days I call "scribble style."  While this interview starts out about my art, we spend a huge amount of time talking about my roots in the BMX/skateboard world in the 1980's.  So it might be worth a listen to you old school and mid school BMX riders out there.  I give several of you shout outs in the interview. 

Last November, I finally made it to the First Friday Gallery Hop in downtown Winston-Salem.  I was living in a tent in the woods on the outskirts of town.  I became homeless as a way to focus 100% of my energy on making my art into a business.  I looked horrible.  I smelled horrible.  And I had my big sketch pad wrapped up in two trash bags under my arm.  I wandered around the open galleries on a chilly night.

I met a woman named Luba (I think that's it), who asked to see what I did.  She was stoked on it, and told me to follow her around as she introduced me to people at several different galleries on Trade and Liberty Streets.  Another woman, a energetic, tiny redhead, Rachel White, really loved my weird Sharpie art.  Rachel had just moved her create and sip, wine and art business, Designs, Vines, and Wines, from her basement to the Studios at 625, right smack in the middle of the Trade Street art district here in Winston-Salem.  Rachel was super busy at her first gallery hop, and told me to come back.  I did.  A month later, at the December Gallery Hop.  I finally got some drawings to her in time for the February Gallery Hop.  We've been working together on stuff ever since.

She started her one hour radio show on WDRB, out of Charlotte, and this was the second show, I think.  She sent me the file, but it hasn't been out in a web sharable way until now.  If you like my art, or want to hear about a bunch of the highly creative people that came out of the BMX and skate world, take a listen.  You don't have to skip the first 23 minutes, it's cool, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...