Friday, June 1, 2018

The Year of the Tent #12: What can one homeless person accomplish in a year?

Unable to find any job in Kernersville for years, in November of 2015, I decided to focus on turning my weird Sharpie artwork into a small business.  I started literally without a single dime.  I had a place to live, a $60 refurbished laptop running Windows XP, a sketch pad, and a bunch of Sharpie markers.  I sat down for a couple of hours and looked at all kinds of art online.  I had one question in mind, "What could I draw that I would want to put on my wall?"  I ended up doing this simple drawing of Bruce Lee, my first hero.  I've been drawing, honing my skills, progressing, and promoting myself ever since.

One year ago, on June 1st 2017, I decided to come to Winston-Salem, because I couldn't re-invest the money I was making back into my art in my living situation in Kernersville.  I stored my few belongings in a friend's closet.  I moved into a patch of woods in Winston-Salem, since I wasn't able to afford any place to live.  I had about $15 to my name, a few clothes, and my art supplies.  I lived in a tent for 9 1/2 of the past 12 months.  

This post, and the previous 11, show you what I've done in the past year as a homeless artist.  I just recently was offered a place to stay, so I'm not homeless anymore.  I'm making consistent money from my art, though not all that much.  I make about what I'd make as a part time restaurant employee.  But I draw and work on the computer all day.  I've created my own job.  I have a two month backlog of work to do at the moment.  My prices aren't that high, but they're increasing bit by bit.  The money will come.

My goal was to create a small business from my art and writing.  Along the way, I've blown most people's stereotypes of what a homeless person can accomplish, which is a nice added bonus.  Scroll through the pics and enjoy.  Here's my info:

Facebook page: Steve Emig (the only one in Winston-Salem).  I have an FB group about Winston-Salem Art and Creative Scenes that you can join (if you friend me) or checkout at any time.
Pinterest: Steve Emig  stevenemig13
Email: stevenemig13@gmail.com
No phone at the moment.  Really kids, that's actually possible.
You can see my work in person at Earshot Music (3254 Silas Creek Parkway), and maybe at 625 Trade Street.

Media:
Winston-Salem Journal- Artist Profile- November 1, 2017
Fresh From The Vine Radio show- WDRB Radio Charlotte- April 8, 2018- interview at 23:40
WGHP Fox 8 News- Interview by Allison Smith- May 17, 2017




No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...