Friday, June 1, 2018

The Year of the Tent #9

The late Dr. Maya Angelou, 18" X 24," Sharpies on paper, sold.  This one managed to wind up on stage at the garden party at Bailey Park here in Winston-Salem, celebrating Dr. Angelou's 90th birthday party.  That was pretty cool. 
 Joan Jett/I Love Rock n' Roll, 18" X 24," Sharpies on paper.  I started this one for myself, and like so many others over the last couple of years, it wound up for sale.  You may see it in a window on Trade Street, that's where I last saw it. 
 When you wind up homeless for any reason, most people somehow believe that you must have lived a life that would inevitably lead to homelessness.  In almost every case, that's not true.  So here are a couple of photos of me when I wasn't old, fat, and homeless.  Here I am in 1989 as a camerman for Unreel Productions, the video company owned by Vision Skateboards/Vision Street Wear Clothes.  The camera on my shoulder is a broadcast quality Sony Betacam that weighed 35 pounds and cost $50,000.  I was shooting the AFA Masters Finals, the year end national BMX freestyle contest.  The location is the former Olympic Velodrome, used in the 1984 Olympics, on the campus of Cal State Dominguez Hills.  For you old school rap fans out there, this is a couple miles from Compton.  Photo by Mike Sarrail.
This is a video still (at 1:05) from my 1990, self-produced BMX freestyle video, The Ultimate Weekend.  I'm doing a wall ride over my younger sister Cheri's head.  She's a grade school teacher in Greensboro now.  The location is the Blues Brother Wall, a slightly undervert wall, right next to the beach in Huntington Beach, California.  It's near 14th Street and PCH. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...