Sunday, June 24, 2018

Juxtaposition: Miley Cyrus Smells Like Teen Spirit


Hey, fellow Generation Xers, one time Disney Pop Tart turned raving lunatic turned rocker turned musical chameleon, Miley Cyrus, just turned a whole new generation onto one of our era's greatest songs.  Yes, it's a song about how people at pop concerts act complete fucking idiots.  Or something like that.  That fact isn't lost on me.  But I'll be honest, I kinda like her take on it.

As someone who worked in the entertainment industry for a while, I fully expected Miley Cyrus to go nuts after her Hannah Montana days ended.  After several years in the role of a G-rated Disney character, Miley emerged as a young woman with raging hormones, and wanted to be seen as a grown up.  So she went nuts.  Disney does that to people.

But then she shows up rocking Joan Jett songs,  and covering a Dolly Parton classic (very well, I might add).  Then she shows up singing with Joan Jett and Dolly Parton.  Then there's this cover of a 70's classic I've always loved.  It's not as good as Kerry Getz' cover of that song, but no one's is.  Well, maybe Stevie Nicks.

 More recently from Miley came some really amazing duets like this, and this, and this.  I think she's gonna be around the music world for quite a while.  My hunch is that were going to see much more of her in the future doing some pretty amazing stuff.  OK, we saw most of her here.  But you know what I mean.  And if she turns a bunch of young kids onto "Dave Grohl's old band" and some other great music from days gone by, that's probably not such a bad thing.

Miley, how about a duet with Nate Reuss covering Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights?"  Or with Meatloaf himself.  Just a thought...

3...2...1... Begin trolling me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...