Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Alright, let's get to work! 2/20/2018

On the art front, things have just jumped to light speed.  Unable to find a "real job" for years here in central NC, I decided to step up my art game a little over two years ago, and turn it into a business.  I've been plugging away at drawings of people in my unique Sharpie marker "scribble style" ever since.  But I haven't been making a living.  I made the necessary move here to Winston-Salem last summer where the best regional art scene is, despite my lack of money for little things like, you know, rent and food.  Things have been crazy since, and sketchy as a junior high art class.  But I now have my drawings up in two great locations, and just sold three of them, including the Johnny Cash "Man in Black" drawing above. 

I was stoked that this all happened in a couple of days.  It's the exact opposite of what happened a month or so ago, when a couple people asked me to do drawings, then ghosted when it came time to pay.  So the recent sales allowed me to rent a "cheap" motel room for a couple nights, and indulge in a luxurious $5 pepperoni pizza from Little Caesar's.  Make fun if you like, I love those pizzas.  I definitely needed a break from my sketchy existence, and really, REALLY needed a shower. 

Then, more surprises.  Good ones.  I have orders for more drawings, besides the couple smaller drawings I was getting ready to start.  I am STOKED!  If things work out, which is never assured in creative work, I could make the jump back to having a stable roof over my head in a matter of weeks.  I might be busy for the next six weeks solid.  That's a real good thing. 

Like I said, it's like somebody flipped a switch and said, "OK, start buying Steve's drawings."  I was telling a friend last week that creative work is like that, you just plug along working, promoting the work how you can, and then a sudden leap seems to come out of nowhere.  Alright, let's get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...