Friday, February 2, 2018

February First Friday Art Walk in Winston-Salem -2/2/2018


Today's a cool day for me.  This Michael Jackson drawing above is now hanging in the front window of Studios at 625, on Trade Street in Winston-Salem. I want to thank Rachel (DesignsVinesAndWines.com) for this opportunity.   I'm not really big Michael Jackson fan, but you can't deny his insane amount of talent as a singer, dancer, and pop star.  This was a fun drawing to do.  I wanted to get both a sense of his singing and dancing in it.  For those not familiar with my work, this drawing is done with Sharpie markers on paper, and is 18" X 24".  It is for sale.  My specialty these days is doing drawings of musicians and athletes.  I shade in what I call "scribble style," scribbling several different colors of ultra fine Sharpies over each other to get each final color.  My scribble style is completely unique in the world, which really surprised me when I started looking at other people's Sharpie art online.  There are a lot of people doing really interesting things with Sharpies, but none use my technique.

I came up with my scribble style while actually living in an indie art gallery called AAA Electra 99 in Anaheim, California back in 2005.  I've been playing around with this style since then, doing several different types of drawings.  Most of them weren't very good.  But I kept trying different things.  Two years ago, unable to find ANY job in this area, I decided to step up my art game and focus on turning my art and writing into a small business.  I've been selling drawings ever since, mostly at low prices to start, about $2 an hour for the work I put in each one.  These drawings took 20 to 25 hours each to draw back then.  My recent drawings, which are more intricate and detailed, now take 25 to 40 hours each, and have been selling for recently $120 each.

Today is the first time my art will be up in a gallery on Trade Street in Winston-Salem, the center of the local art scene, and the Triad's art scene, as far as I'm concerned.  For those of you seeing my work for the first time, here are some links to my social media, and other info about me.  I've led a really weird path through life, and been through some really tough times in the last 15 years or so.  If you're interested in having me do a drawing, the best way to contact me is by email:

stevenemig13@gmail.com

Check out my other stuff:

Facebook Fan Page: Steve Emig The White Bear

Facebook: Steve Emig (Winston-Salem, no fake or lame profiles, please)

Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/stevenemig13/

Artist's Profile in the Winston-Salem Journal

Current Art show at Earshot Music (1254 Silas Creek Pkwy, Winston-Salem)
Huge thanks to Jane Buck and Phred at Earshot for this opportunity

My creative work in the past



No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...