Wednesday, February 27, 2019

My Sharpie Scribble Style Art 2005-2019 - #15

 Star Wars... and some weird timing...  As 2016 was coming to an end, I decided to draw a picture for me.  So I drew Yoda, my favorite character, and tried to visualize The Force in the background.  That didn't really work, but Yoda looked cool. 
 A month or so later, I decided to keep the Star Wars series going, and draw Darth Vader.  For that one, I put a lot of the negativity we all hear, both as kids and adults, in the back ground, representing the Dark Side.
 Well, with Yoda and Vader drawn, it seemed logical to draw Princess Leia around Christmas of 2016.  A couple days after I started drawing this, Carrie Fisher went to the hospital for a heart episode, and the suddenly died right after that.  That was really sad, especially since I just discovered her one woman show, "Wishful Drinking," then.  It's hilarious.  The timing of the whole thing was just too weird.  18" X 24"
Shortly after I started my old school BMX blog, FREESTYLIN' Mag Tales (now deleted) in 2008, the top female rider of the 80's Krys Dauchy, started commenting and emailing.  We became web friends, and she helped me through that tough period.  She refers to her home as the House of Chaos, and years later, I drew this for her.  
Looking for new ways to sell drawings, I advertised on Craigslist to draw people's favorite athletes or musicians.  I got one job from that, and a woman in a town half an hour away gave me a deposit to draw Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead.  This is that drawing.  I had a friend in California ask if it was for sale when I showed it on Facebook.  I said, "No," and wound up drawing another Jerry Garcia drawing for her to give to a friend.  I never did get the rest of the money from the woman who ordered this, so I sold it to someone else months later.  "What a long, strange trip it's been."  The background is my freehand work, as someone who's naturally weird, but has never taken acid, trying to draw something that would appeal to people who've done way too much acid.  18" X 24"
I got this commission through a woman at a studio/gallery in Winston-Salem, NC.  Mary Oliver is a really good poet I'd never head of, and she's also from northern Ohio, like me.  In fact, she grew up a few miles from where my grandma and her sisters grew up.  But there weren't any really good photos of her.  I did the best I could, and this is one of my least favorite drawings from a technical perspective.  Her poem, "Wild Geese," is a really cool one.  The high school English teacher who ordered this liked it, and that's what counts.  In the months since I drew this, Mary Oliver passed away.  If you like poetry, check her work out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...