Thursday, February 28, 2019

My Sharpie Scribble Style Art 2005-2019 - #18

 The punk stuff... and Metallica...  I did this drawing for me, got it mostly done, then it sat for months as I was busy doing work for other people.  I wound up giving it to Social Distortion bass player Brent Harding outside their show here in Richmond last fall.  So it wound up on their tour bus.  Not sure what happened to it then.  I imagine they get a ton of stuff from fans. 

Social Distortion is my favorite band.  The third punk show that my BMX friend Mike Sarrail took me to, in 1988, Social Distortion played, at Scream off Wilshire in L.A..  Punk still seemed too thrashy to me, and I just wasn't getting it.  Then they played Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire."  I was like, "Oh shit, this punk band is playing Johnny Cash, the coolest country singer ever."  I was hooked from then on, and it opened me up to punk rock as a whole.  Mike continued to introduce me to new music and we went to a ton of shows, and I even shot video of some.  18" X 24" #sharpiescribblestyle
 I just did this drawing of Joe Strummer for Facebook friend Brent Schulze.  I never got into The Clash really, my mistake.  When I draw anyone, especially a musician or band, I totally dive into their music and story while I draw the pic.  The Clash is now on my list of stuff to listen to regularly.  "London is drowning, and I... I live by the river."  Actually, I DO live by the river at the moment.  So that song's been in my head a lot, lately.  11" X 14" #sharpiescribblestyle
 From the Godfathers of punk rock back in 1974.  Joey Ramone.  Hey, ho, let's go.  Oh, and there's a story about the quote at the bottom.  Ask me sometime.  18" X 24"

 What's punk about a little girl riding an alligator at the L.A. gator farm in the 1950's?  Everything.  That's punk as fuck.  The caption of this one is: "Most progress in the world comes from the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos."  12" X 18"
 Three of four of The Ramones in action.  Sheena is a punk rocker now.  And I'm an old crusty one.
A security guard at the awesome new library in Winston-Salem, NC asked me to do this for her husband, for his birthday.  It was a big spend on her salary.  She bought it, surprised him, then told me two days later, "He likes it, I'm not even allowed to touch the drawing now."  Metallica in the round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...