Wednesday, February 27, 2019

My Sharpie Scribble Style Art 2005-2019 - #14

 Getting started making money...  I did a handful of smaller drawings as I first started to work towards making money with my Sharpie art in late 2015.  Then I got the idea to draw Johnny Cash, my favorite singer/songwriter from the country music my mom always had on the radio when I was a kid.  Johnny Cash was also a big influence on the leader of my favorite band, Mike Ness of Social Distortion.  I actually traded this drawing, sort of accidentally, for sandwiches for  my mom and me.  We showed it to Jo, the owner of the small, but awesome, Deli on Main, in Kenrersville, NC.  My mom often bought Amish noodles there, and Jo made great sandwiches for lunch.  I took the drawing in to show her at a time when my mom and me were totally broke.  Jo liked it, and asked what I wanted for it.  I joked that I'd trade it for lunch.  Jo took me seriously, and asked what we wanted.  Last I heard, this drawing is still up on the wall at Deli on Main.  Didn't make much, but it was a great lunch when we were broke.  18" X 24"
After Johnny Cash, Jo at the Deli asked if I could do one of her favorite musician, Janis Joplin.  No problem.  So I made some money on this one, and it's in Jo's house, last I heard.  18" X 24" #sharpiescribblestyle
 My cousin Matt, who I hadn't seen since childhood, was coming through the area (of NC) for work, and stopped at my sister's house for the afternoon.  He turned into a really cool guy, and the three of us spent the afternoon catching up.  When I showed him the Sharpie work I was doing, he wanted me to do Slash from Guns n' Roses.  Still early on in my work at drawing musicians, I wasn't sure how to draw a picture that wasbasically black on black on black.  I did my best for the time.  I've since learned I can tone the black with under colors, so I have red/black, green/black, blue/black, or purple/black, that all look slightly different. 18" X 24"
 Us young boys of Generation X had two main heroes as little kids.  Bruce Lee and Evel Knievel.  I decided to draw Evel, but, as weird as it sounds, there aren't very many good still photos of him jumping.  Most of it is sketchy movie film footage.  This didn't come out that well, but I had to try.  #18" X 24"
 Back in the BMX drawings, I mentioned Mike "Boozer" Brown, who is paralyzed and has serious health issues right now.  I kept getting drawings to him too late to raffle off at the BMX jumping jams held to help him, so I told him I'd draw his favorite musician.  Keith Richards was his pick.  Not totally stoked on the face on this one.  But Mike liked it, and that's what mattered.  18" X 24"
Dealing with my mom's drama day after day, I got to thinking about the Dementors J.K. Rowling brought to life in the Harry Potter books.  She said the Dementors were "depression personified."  One thing depression does is steal your dreams.  So I drew this one freehand of a Dementor trying to suck up my dreams.  It hung on the back of my door, so I could see it when I was drawing when I lived in my mom's apartment.  18" X 24" #sharpiescribblestyle, WPOS Kreative 2019, #wposkreative

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...