Sunday, February 3, 2019

Joe Strummer drawing

Joe Strummer, lead singer of The Clash.  This one was a commission for Brent Schulze, 11" X 14", Sharpies on paper, in my unique #sharpiescribblestyle.

I'll be honest, I knew The Clash from the MTV days of high school in the early 80's, before I was properly introduced to punk rock and underground music.  "Rock the Kasbah" and "London's Calling" were about all I knew.  But when I draw a musician or band, I dive into their music, watch whatever documentaries I can find, and try to get their vibe.  That's half the fun of doing these drawings, I've discovered music I was clueless about, and learned the depth of musicians and bands I thought I  knew. I really dig The Clash now.  Thanks Brent.  Here are some of the songs I like most:

"I Fought the Law (and the Law Won)"
"London Calling"
"Police On My Back"
"Death or Glory"
"Should I Stay or Should I Go?"
"Clampdown"
"Tommy Gun"

Here's some close-ups:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Harry Leary Tribute

BMX lost one of the all time top riders last week, Harry Leary.  One of the early legends of BMX racing, Harry Leary, passed away last Satur...