Monday, October 29, 2018

The most exciting skateboard video I've seen in a long time...


Launch ramp jam in 2018?  This popped up on my YouTube feed a little while ago, and I decided to watch it before writing the blog post I had planned.  I watch a fair amount of skate clips these days.  For some reason, I've always liked watching skating and snowboarding more than BMX.  But then, I rode with skaters, and did skate tricks on my bike, for much of the time I was riding seriously.  Nollies, backside bonelesses, no comply's, and half Cab's were standard bike tricks for me.

This clip just keeps blowing your mind.  Why?  It's not just a launch ramp.  The ramp is at the top of a gnarly hill.  Launch ramp to hill bomb.  Wanna watch it now?

When I moved in the San Francisco Bay area in 1985, I knew about it's crazy hills.  But I didn't know what that meant for skateboarding.  Those hills bred skateboarders who saw the whole city as one big skatepark.  When I made it up to Golden Gate Park on a weekend, along with the BMX guys like Vander, Drob, and all, there was the other side of the Curb Dogs.  Curb Dog and Powell Peralta Bones Brigade member Tommy Guerrero, and the other S.F. locals were sessioning launch ramps near where we used to have our BMX freestyle jam circle.  I'd always go watch and shoot photos of them on my Kodak 110 camera.  They were amazing.  A couple years later, in SoCal, I'd roll by Pay-n-Play in Huntington Beach and watch the launch ramp sessions, and ride with them.  This is old school street skating taken to a new level, and these guys fucking rock it.  Mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...