Saturday, August 18, 2018

Hello Richmond, my name's Steve Emig, and this is what I do... Part 2

 I draw pictures with Sharpie markers, in a totally unique way, that I call "scribble style."  I got my art business started in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, which has a great little art scene centered around Trade Street, downtown.  But I started running into a lot of local drama, small town thinking, and people who thought that, somehow, my little, fledgling art business should be their thing to control.  So it was time to move on.  I planned to take a bus to Chicago, and hang with a friend for a week or so, and then head back out West to Southern California, where I lived for most of my adult life.  But a guy who commissioned the Bob Dylan drawing below, flaked on paying me the day before I left.  So I didn't have bus fare to get to Chicago, and asked the Greyhound clerk how far my limited funds would get me north.  Richmond was the answer.  I did the Robert Plant drawing above last week, while here in Richmond, and just shipped it out yesterday.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle .
 I have this Bob Dylan drawing with me, and Bob needs a good home.  Young Dylan with all that hair.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", Asking $150, but willing to deal since I need bus fare.  #sharpiescribblestyle
 Biggie Smalls.  The Notorious B.I.G..  Big Poppa.  Whatever you call him, this is one of my favorites of the drawings I've done in the last several months.  Where Brooklyn at?  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle
 The classic photo of Jimi Hendrix burning his guitar.  Hey, recycling wasn't big in the early 1970's, they'd just burn stuff when done with it.  This drawing is one of about ten now living in a house in Kentucky, new home to a couple who really helped me get things off the ground by keeping me busy drawing pictures for them, all last spring and into the summer.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle
 I did this drawing for to be given as a birthday present back in June.  The woman who ordered it told me her husband wouldn't even let her touch it after she gave it to him.  He liked it so much he deemed it "off limits" to touch while waiting to get it properly framed.  Metallica rocking in the round.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle
 No woman, no cry.  And in my case, no phone (of my own), no good photo of my drawing.  I've done two big Bob Marley drawings, and one or two small ones.  And I need to do more.  Three little birds told me to draw more.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribble style
 My first solo art show was at Earshot Music, a great, old school record shop in Winston-Salem.  This drawing of Kurt Cobain took my work to a new level, and sold about an hour after it went up on the wall, the day before the show officially started.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle
This one is another ordered by the couple in Kentucky.  Blues, beards, and Texas.  If you're like ZZ Top at all, check out the show of Billy Gibbons on Live from Daryl's House on YouTube.  Great show.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle  And yes, the logo on the side is drawn with scribbles of Sharpies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog post # 1,000- In 2015, I started really focusing on my creativity...

  Author of several books, including the novel, The Legend of Bagger Vance , and the non-fiction book on creativity, The War of Art , Steven...