Saturday, August 18, 2018

Hello Richmond, my name is Steve Emig, and this is what I do...

 I draw pictures with Sharpie markers, in a totally unique way that I call "scribble style."  I drew this one for me, originally for my first show at Earshot Music in Winston-Salem, last November.  I'd been wanting to draw the Harley Quinn from the Suicide Squad movie, because... well, she's hot and crazy, which usually makes for good pictures.  Then I found this fan video to Marilyn Manson's cover of "Tainted Love," and thought it would make for a great theme.  A girl in the Arts District last night really wanted to buy it, but didn't have the cash.  I'd love to keep this one, but since I'm looking for bus fare north, I might have to part with it for $150.  Maybe.  These drawings take 30 to 40 hours to draw, on average.  I've been selling them pretty cheap, considering the amount of work involved, just to keep the cash flowing and build my body of work.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", #sharpiescribblestyle.  
You can see more of my stuff here:
Facebook: Steve Emig (Winston-Salem) or Steve Emig: The White Bear for my fan page.  I'll update the city when I land somewhere permanently.
Pinterest: Steve Emig (Guys, Pinterest is a lot cooler than you think, check out my Bruce Lee board)
Google image search: #sharpiescribblestyle
I'm living without a phone for right now.  Yes kids, that IS actually possible.  But that's why I'm not on Instagram or Twitter.  I'll get there eventually.  Not so sure about Snapchat, though.  If you like the song "Tainted Love," check out these versions of it:  Gloria Jones, Soft Cell, Social Distortion, Imelda May, Marilyn Manson.
 This drawing was ordered as a birthday present for a young woman named Erin in Winston-Salem.  According to her mom, Erin was "over the moon" when she got this very unexpected present for her sweet 16th.  I love it when people are genuinely stoked on my work.  I also became a Lana Del Rey fan in the process.  Summer Wine and Old Money anyone?  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle.  Strawberries, Sharpies, and an angel's kiss in Spring, my Lana drawing is made from all these things. 
 I'm old.  Bruce Lee was still alive when I was a little, little kid, and became my first hero.  The cool thing about Bruce Lee is that the more you look into his story, the more amazing he becomes.  This drawing is living on the wall of an old BMX freestyle friend's place in California now.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle
 My sister had me do this one for her husband's birthday.  The entire lyrics of "End of the World" are in the letters "REM, " believe it or not.  Really.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle
 This is the oldest of my drawings in these two blog posts.  Just wanted to show I don't just draw musicians.  I did a Yoda drawing with a bunch of his best sayings for myself in late 2016.  Then I decided I needed to so Princess Leia.  In a weird bit of negative synchronicity, I started this drawing the day before actress Carrie Fisher got sick, and was still drawing it when she died.  R.I.P. Carrie.  If you've never seen Carrie Fisher's one woman show, Wishful Drinking, I highly recommend it.  This one is now living in Chicago, in the house full of my drawings that I'm headed north to visit.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle
This is the last drawing I did for the couple in Kentucky.  The woman's mom is a huge Beatles fan, and this was a present for her.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24", sold.  #sharpiescribblestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog post # 1,000- In 2015, I started really focusing on my creativity...

  Author of several books, including the novel, The Legend of Bagger Vance , and the non-fiction book on creativity, The War of Art , Steven...