Thursday, March 17, 2022

Recent Sharpie Scribble Style drawings 3/17/2022

All three of these drawings are my large size, 18" X 24", drawn in my unique Sharpie Scribble Style.  The tribute to the early days of Thrasher magazine (above) is one I wanted to do to promote my art to some new people.  That's Chuck Treece with a layback on a sketched out backyard ramp, and a few other pics from 1980's Thrasher issues.  I wanted to capture that vibe from the days when skating was still done only by weirdos, there wasn't much money in it, and backyard ramps and street skating were new.  In the background are all the main names of skaters I could think of from that era.  

One of the guys from the weekly HB Tuesdays BMX freestyle sessions in Huntington Beach, Sean Ewing, asked me to do this drawing below.  It's Malcom Smith, the first legendary American motocross racer, hauling ass in the early days.  I drew this from Sean's photo, of a painting, of the original panning photo.  Trying to get the feeling of speed was the challenge in his one.

While I'm not a big fan of golf in general, I loved drawing the photo at the bottom.  The pic has special meaning for Ken in NorCal.  It was a great weekend of his life, a photo snapped while waiting for some other golfers to play through, who were taking their good ol' time.  I love that big pine tree in the foreground, and all the shadows in the original photo.  

These large drawings take me around 40-45 hours to do.  I don't make much per hour for doing them, but doing about 100 of these drawings in the last six years has really honed my skills, and I keep improving,  I'm working on a transition to work that takes less time, and makes more money, to get myself off the streets, and stabilize my life.  Like any artist, I have a whole bunch of my own ideas I want to draw, on different subjects, stacked up in my mind.  Getting an apartment and living like a human again, should give me a little more time to get to some of those ideas.  But the large drawings look the best in my style.  I need to raise my prices dramatically soon, to cover the hours I put into these things.    



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...