Friday, November 9, 2018

My drawings on the wall at The Mix Gallery in the Arts District

 Here's the young Bob Dylan drawing I did for an art collector in North Carolina, and he's the guy that didn't pay me for this drawing before I left.  Because of not getting paid that day, I wound up here in Richmond, and wasn't able to make it up to Chicago, where I was planning to go.  It's a long story.

Heading down to the library yesterday, I noticed I could see one of my drawings, Bob Dylan above, in the window of The Mix gallery, which is at 12 West Broad, here in downtown Richmond.  It's about three doors down from the big statue of Maggie Lenard Walker in the Arts District. 

I ran into the guys at The Mix the day after getting out of the hospital back in August.  I went into the E.R. with cellulitis, a fairly serious leg infection I'd had long ago.  I ended up spending six days in the hospital, damn near dying, from a severe allergic reaction to a the medicine they gave me, which I'd never had before.  Two days earlier, I could barely stand up in the hospital, I got that sick. I had to go to a homeless shelter for a night after the hospital, and, still sicker than a dog, I walked two miles, with nasty little blisters called pustules, popping up on my legs, in 93 degree weather, while carrying all my bags, to find my way back to the part of Richmond I kind of knew.

Someone I met told me there was an "African Store" in the arts district that loved Bob Marley stuff.  So I went to the Arts district looking for this store, to see if I could sell a small drawing for some food money.  I never did find it, I think that person who told me was talking about the bong shop near VCU.  But while I was looking for it, I took a break to rest, and wound up talking to a couple of guys from The Mix, and they took me inside, and the man I talked to there ended up buying the Bob Dylan drawing and the Tainted Love/Harley Quinn drawing below.  I sold them really cheap, compared to my standard prices, but I desperately needed to rent a motel room for the night to keep healing up.  I really didn't want to part with Tainted Love, I drew that one for me a year ago.  But it helped me get a room, and keep living.   

 I started stopping by the gallery now and then, and Jay asked me to do a Biggie Smalls drawing for them.  Tonight I saw that all three of these drawings are up on the wall, and all visible from the sidewalk.  So if you're local to Richmond, and want to check out some of my work up close and in person, head down to The Mix at 12 West Broad in the Arts District.  Check their Facebook page for hours and info.  They own these drawings, and I haven't stopped by there in a while, so I don't know if these are just on display, or if they're for sale.  That's their call at this point.  But it's really cool to see some of my work up and visible in the Arts District, and I'm stoked some people here will see it.
I haven't been down to The Mix in quite a while, not because of any issue with them, I've just been busy trying to stay alive as a homeless man, and to work on selling work so I can work my way off the streets and into a decent room somewhere.  I'll keep everyone posted, in this blog, and on social, if I do more work with The Mix in the near future.  Thanks to Jay and Ebani for hanging my work, and I'll come by soon and see what's happening guys.  All three of these drawings are 18" X 24", done with Sharpies on paper, and drawn in my unique #sharpiescribblestyle.  Check 'em out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...