Monday, November 19, 2018

Dig BMX's History of the Ice Pick grind


I'd like to thank Matt Picker for the head's up on this video.  DIG BMX had this idea to document the progress of a single trick, starting with the ice pick.  Until Matt told me about this video today, I forgot they'd contacted me about this idea a while ago.

Cool idea.  Even cooler, from my perspective, is that I shot the video of the first ice pick grind.  My shot from The Ultimate Weekend (1990) video of John Povah grinding the little handrail into the kiddie pool at the Regional Pool (Cypress, CA) is when John took Mat Hoffman's ice pick stall on vert, and turned it into a grind.  In 1989-90, the corporate money pulled out of BMX freestyle, riding went underground and low budget, and rider-made videos, like me making The Ultimate Weekend, was in its infancy.  But the riding was progressing at high speed.

Props to DIG (pun intended) for coming up with this idea, and it's cool to see how a little trick Keith Treanor and John Povah had been thinking about, and John pioneered, turned into something huge and gnarly as fuck since.  The one I totally remember in this sequence was Josh Heino's ice pick at El Toro.  That blew my mind when it came out.  It was so huge and crazy for that time.  I've never even managed an icepick stall on street, but this is a really cool watch to see one trick progress over a couple of decades.  

Just realized this is blog post #430 for this blog.  That's a lot of posts in 17 months.  The number 43 is EVERYWHERE for me lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...