Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Times have changed in Boise


Several times I've written about how I got into BMX in Blue Valley trailer park, outside Boise, Idaho, in 1982.  We all know that the data mining programs are paying attention to what we look up and search online, and the algorithms put ads and other stuff in front of us using that info.  Today, on the new Mozilla front page, this came up, "The King of Boise."  I started to click past it, then decided to take a look.  The article is about some dumbass kid who rode BMX and was the biggest Oxycodone dealer in Boise, apparently.

I stopped reading.  It's lame that they had to add BMX riding to a drug dealer article.  I wondered how the hell this popped up #1 on my feed, then remembered writing about BMX riding and Boise. 
Unlike the skate artist Pushead, who lived in Boise when I did, I actually really liked Boise.  There was actually a good BMX racing scene in the 80's, and I was one of the first few freestylers to help promote that in the area.  I haven't been there since 1987, but you can see from the clip above they have a great skatepark there now.  It'd be cool if someone would write a big article about that, and not about some stupid drug dealer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...