Sunday, November 19, 2017

Earshot Music Show: Take 1

 
 Top: Gene Simmons/KISS, Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24"
Above:  "Tainted Love" featuring Harley Quinn and Joker from Suicide Squad, Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24".

This is my first solo art show.  I had my early Sharpie art up in an indie gallery in California in 2005-2006, but not in any shows since.  It's a small show, but I'm stoked a handful of people came out, and two drawings have sold and I have an order for a third.  I've been doing my unique thing with Sharpies for a long time, but never really considered myself a visual artist. 

It was a crazy summer that led to this show happening, which you can read more about in the previous post.  I've been drawing in my "scribble style" with Sharpie markers since 2005.  It all started when I tried to draw a mural on the wall of my jail cell sized bedroom in 2002.  It sucked, and I started doing huge collages on big rolls of paper, and shading in between photos with markers in different doodle-type designs.  Over 15 years, its evolved into this, and it's still evolving drawing by drawing.
 "Gwen and Now," Gwen Stefani in 1995 and 2017, Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24"

When this show opened, I was trying to do what I could to promote it on the ground. Jane, Earshot art director, lined up this Winston-Salem Journal  artist profile of me, which I was really stoked on.  It didn't show the music related drawings I'm focusing on now, but told my background well.  When the show opened, I was broke, and didn't even have a camera to take photos of the show, and forgot to ask someone else to.  In these three posts you can see the drawings at Earshot Music.  It's a great music shop with rare and hard to find CD's, DVD's and vinyl records.  So if you're in the Triad area, stop by and take a look in person. I work from photos, and would love to draw your favorite musician (or athlete)...if they don't suck.  I have a Facebook fan page at "Steve Emig The White Bear."
Pick one:  "L"  or "F"
______ame ass arteest
Me outside Earshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...