Friday, September 22, 2017

Future Shock 2017: Jobs are going bye bye fast


I'm the taxi driver in this video who was taken out by technology, except fatter and with more hair.  From about 2003 to 2007, I worked 7 days a week as a taxi driver, 15 to 18 hours most days.  I lived in my cab because I couldn't afford an apartment, sleeping in it six nights a week and getting a cheap motel room one night.  What did I get for busting my ass as a taxi diver?  A lot of crazy stories.  And I bulked up to 374 pounds, nearly died from MRSA infections, and wound up homeless and panhandling to survive for a year.

I'm not alone.  This kind of thing is happening to millions of people as high tech like robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) improves at an exponential pace.  Most of the taxi drivers here in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where I now live, drive cabs just to get a car to drive around.  They don't even try to make a living at it.  I just talked to one yesterday.  The same is true in cities nationwide.

No matter who you are, no matter what you do for a living, this loss of jobs to technology WILL affect you.  If you don't lose your job to tech, you may lose customers for your business who lost their jobs to tech.  

This little video gives a quick and fairly good look at what is one of the biggest issues facing modern society that is being largely ignored.  How secure does your job seem?

This is the big issue I'm putting my thoughts and effort into as we move forward in what will be a rapidly changing and highly interesting future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UCLA-Gaza War/Pro Palestine college protests

  Democracy Now (of WBAI radio NYC/Pacifica Stations), April 30, 2024 report of students at Columbia University occupying Hamilton Hall, the...