Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The best grape soda I ever drank

I hit the only surf shop in Winston-Salem area to see if anyone was interested in buying my Kelly Slater drawing.  They liked it, but my drawings are expensive.  Lesson: I need to make small copies of drawings people can actually afford. 

I headed to the bus stop, and downed the last of my water in my water bottle.  Then waited nearly an hour in the sweltering heat for the bus.  I got off the bus early, and headed half a mile to a church that I heard had a free meal on Tuesday nights.  By the time I got there, I was bead tired, my throat was bone dry, and it was insanely hot.  I sat in the shade for a couple of hours, not sure what time the meal was.  Finally a kid asked if I wanted something to drink.  His parents were doing something inside the church and he was outside with his friends.  I said, "Water or whatever would be great."  He went inside, and came out with an ice cold Fanta grape soda.  I've never been one to pick grape flavored stuff.  When offered a popsicle as a kid, I'd go with red or orange.  But that ice cold grape soda hit the spot in a way I couldn't believe.  Thanks kid.

More than hour later, a guy told me the free meal was on Wednesday nights.  Then he went in the church and hooked me up with water, Gatorade, and some snacks.  Thanks man.  Homelessness is tough.  But random people step up and help out at times, which is awesome.  I shared the snacks with a guy I know who was at the bus stop.  He got approved for "rapid re-housing"... after working at it for 17 months.  He's living in the woods waiting for the final inspection of his apartment.  He was stoked on the snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...