Saturday, July 8, 2017

Bruce Lee

A year and a half ago, after not being able to find a job anywhere, I decided to step up my artwork and start making money selling drawings.  I spent a couple hours on the computer looking for stuff that I really liked, art that I would want to put on my wall.  I love graffiti and street art, and was surprised how many cool stencils I found.  So for my first drawing to step things up, I drew a high contrast face shot of Bruce Lee. 

He was my first hero as a kid in the early 70's, and I didn't even see his movies for years.  But my friend's older brother had the poster of Bruce from Enter the Dragon with the scars on his face and chest.  All us little kids in the neighborhood wanted to be Bruce Lee.  So as my drawing skills improved, I took my shot at drawing that epic poster of my childhood, this image of Bruce Lee. 

In many cases, as you age, you learn things about your childhood heroes that make them lose their luster.  Bruce Lee was just the opposite.  I learned later that he was not only a martial arts movie star, but he actually was an amazing fighter.  He was also insanely fit.  He was also a student of philosophy, both Eastern and Western.  He created his own martial art genre, Jeet Kun Do.  And he wrote, starred in, produced, and directed movies.  Pretty amazing guy.  This drawing landed with a good friend in Southern California.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...