Saturday, July 8, 2017

Janis Joplin

I always loved singer Johnny Cash as a kid, and drew a pic of him when I started drawing musicians.  When I got interviewed about my art for the local Kernersville (NC) newspaper, the Johnny Cash drawing was included in the article.  Not long after, I showed it to Jo, the owner of Deli on Main, a great little sandwich shop on old Main street in Kernersville.  I traded some of Jo's great food for that drawing, and Johnny Cash is now hanging on the wall of the deli.  A couple weeks later, Jo asked if I could do a Janis Joplin drawing for her.  I picked this classic, live, singing shot.  I spent quite a while looking at the old posters of her shows, and I tried to put a background in that would fit in with those classic posters. 

Like all my musician drawings, I listened to her music the whole time I was drawing this.  It helps me kind of get the feel and vibe of who I'm drawing.  I've been a big fan of Janis forever, and wound up stoked on this drawing.  Sharpies on paper, 18" X 24."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...