Monday, July 31, 2017

Judging a book by its cover: skate edition


This one's for the guys at Exodus Skate shop here in Winston-Salem.  I went around promoting my art and handing out copies of a little drawing with my "Become" poem on it today.  This afternoon, fat, sketchy, smelly, and homeless, I walked into Exodus.  The guys behind the counter kinda mad-dogged me, wondering who this old sketchy-ass guy was, and why he was in their shop.  I made a joke about it, and they chuckled a bit.  So I gave them the poem and drawing (Chris Miller in a full pipe), and they thought my big Kelly Slater drawing was pretty cool.

I told them I worked at Vision Skateboards back in its heyday, but I doubt they believed me.  I'm the guy in white shorts and T-shirt in the background of this clip at :16, :26, :43, 1:35, and 1:40.  This is Ken Park's segment from the 1989 Vision video Barge at Will.  The location is Tony Hawk's Fallbrook house and ramp.  Tony wasn't there that day, but I wound up having lunch sitting in the back of a pick-up listening to Frank Hawk (Tony's dad) and Don Hoffman, (my boss and longtime skate industry guy) talking about the history or skateboarding.  Then Chris Miller showed up.  He dropped into the halfpipe and did a four foot high backside air all the way across the ramp first thing.  Pretty epic day.  I did actually work some, shooting video and Super 8 film.  It was one of my better days working at Unreel Productions, Vision's video company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...