Saturday, July 8, 2017

Karina Petroni duck dive

This is a pretty crappy photo, I mean worse than most of the other crappy photos of my drawings.  But this drawing is halfway across the country now, so it'll have to do.  I'd been wanting to try a surfing picture for a while, as well as a good looking woman.  So I looked up pro surfer Karina Petroni, and found this cool pic of her doing a duck dive.  For all you non-surfers out there, a "duck dive" is what surfers do when they're paddling out and have to go by a wave coming in.  Ducks to the same thing, hence the name.

So... why Karina Petroni?  Because one year when I was driving a taxi in Huntington Beach during the huge U.S. Open contest, I had Karina and some of her friends in my taxi for a couple of rides.  She not only got second in the contest, but she was just a really cool chick, and damn cute as well.  So when I went looking for a female surfer shot, Karina popped into my head.  Oddly, I couldn't find a really good surf photo of her that suited my needs.  But I loved this duck dive.

This was my first attempt at doing a surf drawing, and it's not too bad.  I wasn't totally happy with the whitewater at the top.  But I love all the different shades of blue and green in it.  As fate would have it, I just finished my second surf drawing a couple of hours ago.  It's an old shot of Kelly Slater in a small tube.  In my years in the action sports world, I realized there are two sports that make nearly every photo look amazing: surfing and rock climbing.  I definitely need to draw more surf pics in the future.

So what does a pro surfer do when not on the pro tour?  Something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...