Friday, February 4, 2022

Steve Crandall on the Unclicked podcast


Longtime hardcore BMXer, driving force behind FBM for over two decades, TV announcer, and all around cool human, Steve Crandall.

I think it was 1994 when I met Steve Crandall.  At the time, I was roommates with Chris Moeller and Timmy Ball in Huntington Beach.  Between Chris being one of the best known dirt jumpers, and owning S&M Bikes, pretty much everyone in BMX from other parts of the country and world called when traveling to California, asking to crash on our couches and floors.  So it was normal for me to come downstairs for breakfast and have complete strangers sleeping in the living room.  One morning I was pouring some cereal, and Chris was making tea, and he pointed to the couch, "Those are the FBM guys over in the corner."  

I don't remember much else of that weekend, except we did a lot of riding, and little partying with those guys.  From then on, I'd run into Crandall at events every once in a while.  Then, many years later, when I wound up homeless in Richmond, Virginia in 2018, Crandall sent me a message out of the blue.  "Meet me at Powers Bike Shop later, here's the address."  He did what he could to help me out, along with Chad at Powers Bikes.  I actually was trying to make some money and live there, but I couldn't get momentum.  But there is a really cool BMX and art scene there.  Got to know Steve better, and finally spent a day at the DIY World Championships event, one of the greatest days of BMX I've seen.  Anyhow, watch/listen to this podcast.  













No comments:

Post a Comment

UCLA-Gaza War/Pro Palestine college protests

  Democracy Now (of WBAI radio NYC/Pacifica Stations), April 30, 2024 report of students at Columbia University occupying Hamilton Hall, the...