Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Jessie Armand Sharpie art from a decade ago...


Jessie Armand's black and white doodle art was THE Sharpie art style in 2011-12.  Here's a cool time lapse of him doing an office wall.  

My first attempt at a marker mural on paper, was in 2002, in a tiny room I lived in Garden Grove.  It completely sucked.  But it got me started making huge collages, and trying to find a cool way to blend colors with Sharpies.  "Real artists" know that Sharpies dry quick, and you can't blend colors.  I didn't bother asking any real artists.  In late 2005, while actually living in an indie art gallery, I discovered my Sharpie Scribble Style.  I've been evolving and pushing it for the 16+ years since.  

As crazy as it sounds, I never bothered to google "Sharpie art" until 2012, after I had been drawing kid's names in #sharpiescribblestyle, and doing drawings for my niece and nephew.  That was also about the time I found three skateboard decks by our dumpster, and did "Grey Trash" alien drawings, then mounted them on the decks.  

When I did finally look up Sharpie art, this video, and a couple others of Jessie's work, are what I found.  His style blew my mind.  I started doing some black and white doodle drawings now and then to try and mimic his style, which I never came close to doing.  My Sharpie doodles are pretty cool looking now, but not near as cool as Jessie's work from a decade ago.  Check out this Lamborghini he did.  Here's Jessie's website today.  Wow.

Meanwhile, I kept drawing, and in late 2015, started drawing people, and trying to sell my drawings, since I couldn't make any money or find a "real" job.  I'm still broke, but I've sold about 100 originals since.  Here's one of my favorites...

The late, great, Stevie Ray Vaughn.  #sharpiescribblestyle.














No comments:

Post a Comment

UCLA-Gaza War/Pro Palestine college protests

  Democracy Now (of WBAI radio NYC/Pacifica Stations), April 30, 2024 report of students at Columbia University occupying Hamilton Hall, the...