Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Meet up with Steve Crandall the other day

 When I landed accidentally in Richmond, VA about a month ago, I didn't know a thing about the city.  I got a message the other day fromSteve Crandall of FBM, that he was going to be at Powers Bike Shop here.  I had no idea Steve spends a good chunk of time around Richmond. 

I met Steve and the early FBM posse on their first trip to California in 1994.  They slept on the couches and floor of the apartment I shared with Chris Moeller and Timmy Ball then.  When you were roommates with Moeller of S&M Bikes back then, the living room was a motel for wandering BMXers from around the world.

It was cool to see Steve, it's been 20 years or so, neither of us could remember exactly.  We're both old BMX guys who do art now, and it was great to catch up a bit. 

In the crazy bike collection at the Powers Shop, they had an old Skyway T/A with red Z-Rims and red check pads, nearly identical to my first "real" BMX bike, that I bought in Boise in 1984.  Steve had Donovan pull it down so he could get a pic of me with it.  Once you're a BMXer, it's always in your blood.  I was jonesin' to ride after hanging out at Powers Bikes and checking out the ramps, for a while.  Steve also hooked me up with an old phone of his, so now I FINALLY have the ability to take my own photos, and share them.  Somehow I've been building an art business without this ability.  He also gave me the hobo hook-up with some food, knowing I'm homeless for the moment.  Thanks for the help Steve, and thanks for letting me annoy Donovan at Powers Bike Shop with a bunch of old school stories.  I'm going to try to get back by this week and meet Chad, the owner of the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...