Thursday, November 18, 2021

Back from hiatus

You don't have to be a train wreck to become a writer.  But it's a damn good place to start.  Meme I made a couple of days ago.  #stevemigmemes

In May of 2020, this blog hit the 100,000 page view milestone, which is pretty epic for a personal blog.  I started this blog in late June of 2017, bringing my other blogs ideas into one, shortly after moving out of my mom's small apartment, in Kernersville, North Carolina, and into a tent in the woods in Winston-Salem, NC.  I was completely focused on trying to make a living with my #sharpiescribblestyle artwork at the time.  I had no idea if anyone, at all, would every read this blog.  Hey, guess what? Quite a few people have checked out this blog in the 4 1/2 years since (check the counter).  The start of this blog seems like 20 years ago to me.  

I've sold 50 or more original pieces of my Sharpie art since then, and managed to continue as a homeless, but working, artist.  I've had three short respites from homelessness in the last 4 1/2 years, about two months each, and about a year apart each.  I also tried out a few new blogs.  Here they are:

WPOS Kreative Ideas- Creativity and stuff

Steve Emig Adventuring- Weird and cool locations in California (with a lame ass blog title)

Crazy California 43- Weird and cool locations in California (Cool blog title)

Full Circle- Writing and the writer's life

The Big Freakin' Transition- My name for the time period I believe we're in, an 80 to 90 year long transition period between the Industrial Age and the Information Age.  

For most of the last 18-19 months, the Covid Era, as we now seem to call it, I had to struggle to just survive on the streets of the San Fernando Valley. It was really struggle to find a place to charge my laptop, and then travel somewhere else by bus, to find wifi to actually get online, until my battery died.  For much of this time, it was all I could do to just keep in touch with people.  I didn't have much time to blog, and do the nuts and bolts, behind the scenes work of promoting my blogs, linking things, making Pinterest pins, and all of that.  

Now I've found a library to work in, so I can actually plug in and work on wifi at the same time.  Imagine that.  While I was struggling to just keep blogging, and do some Sharpie art to make some money, this blog just kept getting views, from all the various links to it from all over.  

So after splitting my different ideas into different blogs, and trying various ideas out for a while, I've decided to come back to this blog, and get it going again.  Like always, I'm not sure where that will lead.  We'll find out together. 

In May, in another blog, I went through and checked out how many blogs I have that actually have about 1,000 or more page views.  I try on different blog ideas like women try out hairstyles, there were more than I thought.  The total surprised me.  I started blogging seriously in December of 2008.  Since then, I've created over...

25 different blogs, over 2,405 blog posts, and pulled in over 438,000 total page views, as of May 2021.  Here's that post.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

An anthropologist's look at skate spots

This 12 minute video about skate spots popped up on my feed the other day, and I took the time to check it out.  For the first minute or so,...