Saturday, March 3, 2018

Hanging at Delurk


Patrick Harris, the painter of the work in this clip, is one of the founders of Delurk Gallery in Winston-Salem, I believe.  He did a great painting of Deniro as Travis Bickel in Taxi Driver years ago.  I really wanted to buy it, but I was broke, so I drew my own version.  I'm showing this clip because, for some reason, there's hardly anything on You Tube from the Winston-Salem/ Trade Street art scene.  Let's see if we can double the 53 views it's had in two years.  Heh, heh, heh.

My Michael Jackson drawing was accepted into the "Creatures of  Fortune" exhibit at Delurk, which opened last night.  Months ago, when I first wandered around Winston, showing my art to random people to get their thoughts, nearly everybody said, "Go to Delurk Gallery."  To the college age people in particular, Delurk seems to be the coolest gallery around.  As I got busy with other projects, I never followed through with them.  The drawing got into the show thanks to Rachel White, and was a total last minute thing.  I didn't win one of the three prizes, but as a new guy to this scene with a really weird type of art (Sharpie art), I'm just stoked to be included and have something on a wall at Delurk.

I also just finished a drawing of Jimi Hendrix yesterday, my take on the classic photo of him lighting his guitar on fire at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.  I was stoked on how Jimi turned out,  and I dropped it off to be picked up by the couple who ordered it.  There are a couple photos of it floating around, I'll chase them down and post them later. 

After a beautiful, but chilly and super windy day yesterday, the crowd for the First Friday Gallery Hop wasn't huge, but we had a good time.  The theme was Alice in Wonderland, so there were a couple Alice's and a Mad Hatter or two, wandering around freezing their butts off last night.  It was a good time, and after wandering the scene, I landed back at Studios at 625, and worked on a Sharpie doodle art drawing idea.  I'm not a member of 625, but more like a stray cat the fed a couple times that won't go away.

OK, that's my quick take on last night's gallery hop, now... back to work.  I've got a bunch more musicians to draw in the next few weeks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...