Thursday, January 18, 2018

Winston-Salem snow: January 17, 2018


Found this on You Tube.  Here's a look at the end of the snowstorm we had here yesterday.  Since I grew up in Ohio and Idaho as a kid, it normally wouldn't be a big deal.  To be honest, I really miss driving in snowy weather.  I don't have a car right now, and was taking the buses around yesterday.  But in my current living situation, snowy weather is definitely not a good thing.  Luckily, I got some money for a drawing I did recently, and was able to get a nice, warm room for the night.  I love it when a plan comes together. 

The weird thing about weather here in Central North Carolina is that we get major high and low pressure fronts from every direction.  We had cold coming down from Canada last week, and the last couple of days.  We get weather from the West.  We get weather from the Gulf of Mexico.  Sometimes, we even get weather from the East. 

Tiny changes in the Gulf Stream, or the timing of how different fronts interact, make it almost impossible to get a decent 7 day forecast here.  A few days ago, yesterday was supposed to be a dusting of snow, then the forecast went up to maybe 1" to 2".  And the temperature was supposed to be in the mid-20's last night.  We turned out getting 6"-7" of snow, and the temperature dropped into the teens, with the wind chill below ten and dropping as I ventured out for a $5 pizza last night.  As a homeless guy (at the moment), weather plays a huge role in my life.  So I'm stoked I was able to get out of the mess last night.  Tonight will be chilly, but then things warm up.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UCLA-Gaza War/Pro Palestine college protests

  Democracy Now (of WBAI radio NYC/Pacifica Stations), April 30, 2024 report of students at Columbia University occupying Hamilton Hall, the...