Sunday, December 31, 2017

Must do for 2018: See Cirque du Soleil Volta


There a few things that go back a long ways for me.  I got into BMX in a trailer park outside Boise, Idaho, in 1982.  That changed the course of my life.  Just over a decade later, I was living in the infamous P.O.W. House in Westminster, CA, and I saw job ad for a circus coming to town.  I wound up working in the box office of Saltimbanco, the first Cirque du Soleil show that appeared in Orange County, California.  Working at Cirque changed what I thought was possible in life.  There is nobody I've seen that work harder AND smarter than circus people.  At that time, Cirque was just a single traveling show, a nine-year-old project that started with a group of street performers in Montreal.  I could relate to that.  As a BMX freestyler at the Huntington Beach Pier, I was a street performer who did tricks for around 140,000 people over a few years time.

Cirque du Soleil now has around 20 different shows, including several of the top permanent shows in Las Vegas.  In the early tours, it was the best run company I've ever seen.  I went on to work on four more tours that came to Orange County, mostly because it was just a fun place to go to work.  Well, and I got to see the show for free several times. 

The Cirque du Soleil box offices are built in a semi trailer.  I spent many, many hours on the phone or at the window there day dreaming of someday performing in a BMX or rock climbing act in Cirque.  That never happened for me.  But now the insanely amazing organization of Cirque has put together a show around the energy and lifestyle of the action sports world.  I DEFINITELY want to see this in 2018.  If you get the chance, you should to.

The story behind Cirque du Soleil's Volta

The creation of Cirque du Soleil Volta

The BMX Finale of Cirque du Soleil's Volta

East Coast BMX freestyler from the 80's, Chris Lashua in Cirque's Quidam  

Check the schedule and buy tickets for Volta 

 With a bit of looking on Facebook, you can find Daniel Dher's thoughts on seeing Volta for the first time.  Happy New Year's everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...