Monday, December 11, 2017

Ride In Peace: A Tribute to Kevin Robinson


"That's what bike riding's about, that's why I ride a bike, that right there... We sit at home, we think up stuff, we try it, and it works... we just keep progressing."
-Kevin Robinson,  after landing the first double flair at the 2006 X-Games

Kevin Robinson, one of the most progressive BMX riders ever, died suddenly of a stroke, this past Saturday, December 9th, 2017.  He was 45 years old and left behind a wife and three children.

My blogs about BMX have been my own personal take on the BMX freestyle world that I was a part of in the 1980's and 1990's.  Kevin Robinson is one of the riders I never met.  I know him, like most of you, from seeing video clips of him pulling one seemingly impossible trick after another.  He pushed the progression of BMX more than most, if not all, of the the amazing riders in the 21st century.  He inspired thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of riders to push their own limits.  More important, everyone I've heard who knows him says he was a cool human being, not just an amazing rider.  That is something that can't be said for a lot of pro athletes.

Rather than write a big post about someone I never knew personally, I'm going to put a bunch of links of his riding and interviews to check out.  RIP K ROB, and empathy, best wishes, and condolences to his family and all his friends.

World Record 27 foot quarterpipe air
Alli Sports Interview 
27 foot high World Record quarterpipe air
Vert session at Woodward East
No handed flair on Mega Ramp
Riding a Big Wheel
Double flair attempt on Mega Ramp
Kevin's Woodward Experience 
Kevin on The Late Show with David Letterman
Talking about his foundation
K-Rob BMX school assembly programs
84 foot ramp to ramp back flip


And here's a TED Talk Kevin gave. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...