Monday, May 13, 2024

Post #999 of this blog- The top 14 most popular posts (over 1,000 page views each)


Here's a little known clip of Craig Grasso and Pete Augustin, dueling it out on a big wall ride at the Huntington Beach Street Scene in 1988.  My blog post, "Schralpin' with Grasso" came in a lucky #7 on this list, with 1,331 total page views.  That post is about the month after I got laid off from FREESTYLIN' magazine, when I spent my mornings calling around the BMX world, looking for a new job, and then spent the rest of each day riding streets, local ramps, and flatland with Redondo Beach local Craig Grasso, back in early 1987.  The Huntington Beach Street Scene post itself had around 600 views, putting it in the top 25 posts by views.  

This is blog post #999 of Steve Emig:The White Bear blog.  That's a line I never expected to write.  I started this blog days after moving out of where I was living, and into the woods in North Carolina, in the summer of 2017.  The living situation was just a really toxic situation, and I had to get out for a bunch of reasons.  My Sharpie scribble style art was the only thing making me any money, but only $2 to $3 an hour for the time I spent drawing.  I hadn't been able to get hired for any "real job" in North Carolina, for over 8 1/2 years, at that point.  I started this blog partly to help promote my artwork, but mostly just for the creative outlet of blogging.  I seriously didn't think very many people would check it out.  

I was wrong.  Most of the posts with lots of views, 300 views or more, came in late 2017 and 2018.  If you follow this blog, you know that I've had more than 150,000 views in the last year or so.  But I think these huge surges are coming from people using VPN's, because I don't get a breakdown of what posts they are viewing, and they come mostly from cities like Singapore or Hong Kong.  These surges seemed to start as the VPN's got popular, so people could stop websites from collecting their data, using cookies to track them online, and all of that.  So those views don't count in the totals below, just in the overall total you see on the view counter on the right.

In any case, for post #999, I decided to link the most popular posts, out of the 998 so far, as determined by you, the readers.  These 14 posts below all got more than 1,000 page views each, and some of those that made the list surprised me.  Here's the list, so you can check them out again, or see which ones you missed over the last 7 years.  

As the publisher of this blog, I'd like to thank every one of you who has ever checked out a post, or a bunch of posts, on my blogs.  I love to write, and always have lots of ideas, but having people out there who actually read what I write is a huge part of why I keep going.  Thank you!



(Three)- 1,761 views- "A forgotten Woody Itson trick"


(Five)- 1,407 views- "My Evel Knievel record album"


(Seven)- 1,331 views- "Schralpin' with Grasso"



(Ten)- 1,243 views- "Creative Life- 4/25/2019"





OK, there they are, the 14 most popular posts out of the first 998, as judged by you, the readers.  This is post #999 you're reading right now.  Post #1000, a new milestone for me, coming soon.  

I've been doing a lot of writing on a platform designed specifically for writers, called Substack.  Check it out:



My thoughts on financial markets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harry Leary Tribute

BMX lost one of the all time top riders last week, Harry Leary.  One of the early legends of BMX racing, Harry Leary, passed away last Satur...