Thursday, May 30, 2024

Arisa Trew becomes the first female to land a 900 air on a skateboard


While it got overshadowed by the news of the former president today, this is huge in the action sports world.  14-year-old Arisa Trew became the first female ever to land a 900 air on a skateboard, on a halfpipe.

To put this in context, Tony Hawk, one of the best vert skaters of all time, and definitely the best known, spent over ten years trying it, before he landed the first skateboard 900 in the X-Games Best Trick contest in 1999.  

By some crazy bit of fate, I was standing on the deck shooting video, when Mat Hoffman landed the first BMX 900 on vert, in Canada in 1989.  Then, a decade later, I was standing about 20 feet from the ramp, when Tony Hawk landed his first 900 in 1999, in San Francisco.  My video camera had a dead battery that time, but I didn't care, I knew I was witnessing a moment, with about 5,000 other spectators.  A few years later, I did get video of Sandro Diaz landing a 900 on a skateboard, on vert, in Huntington Beach, California.  

Now, twenty-five years after Tony's first 900, Australian Arisa, not even legal driving age by U.S. standards yet, stuck one for the women in skateboarding.  Hell yeah!  Way to go Arisa!  

Blogger's note- 7/25/2024- Only days after Arisa's first female skateboard 900 hit the interwebs, 9-year-old Ema Kawakami (a boy, I believe), landed three back to back 900's, with Tony Hawk watching live.  Who's genetically engineering these kids?  Holy crap!  Here's the link:



I've been doing most of my writing on a platform called Substack lately, which is designed specifically for writers.  Check it out:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harry Leary Tribute

BMX lost one of the all time top riders last week, Harry Leary.  One of the early legends of BMX racing, Harry Leary, passed away last Satur...