Sunday, August 20, 2023

Tropical Storm and an earthquake to boot...

Screenshot of Hurricane Hilary, the first hurricane to head towards Southern California in about 80 years.

It's 2:58 pm, on Sunday, August 20th, 2023.  We just had a 5.0 earthquake, only the second solid shake I've felt, since I made it back to California in 2019.  This quake was centered southeast of Ojai, which is about 35-40 miles west-northwest of where I am, in the San Fernando Valley.  I'm in a little coffee shop type place where I can work on the laptop.  I'm drying off from getting pretty wet at a bus stop earlier, in the rain from Hilary.  

The first tropical storm in 80 years hits, just downgraded from a Category 1 hurricane this morning (a Cat 4 at its peak), and we just happen to have a solid earthquake during it.  Gotta love California.  


I'm doing a lot of writing on Substack these days, check it out:

Steve Emig The White Bear's Substack

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Huntington Beach Pier Bank sessions of 1989

  Here's a great shot of 1970's era skateboarding at the Huntington Beach Pier bank, some variation of a Bertleman or layback slide....