Saturday, August 12, 2023

The Powers BMX museum in Richmond, Virginia


In this video, Chad Powers, owner of Powers BMX bike shop and museum, gives a tour of his amazing collection of  BMX bikes, components, clothing, magazines and videos.  The Powers shop and museum is located in Richmond, Virginia.  If you're into BMX, and get near Richmond, go check this place out.  You can buy from the Powers BMX website here.*


All of us who got seriously into BMX at some point, remember the bikes, media, and unique frames, forks and components of that era.  It's like the cartoons you watched as a little kid, that first period of being into BMX gets imprinted on you.  Years later, when you see a bike from that era, or an old set of cranks or handlebars at a garage sale, or find an old video or magazine from that time, it takes you right back to your early days of BMX stoke. 

In the weird journey of my life, I landed in Richmond, Virginia, more down and out then usual, in August of 2018.  I had never been to Richmond, I didn't know anyone there, as far as I knew, and I had $3.50 in my pocket when I got off the Greyhound bus.   About three weeks later, much to my surprise, Former FBM owner Steve Crandall called me up, and said, "Hey, meet me at Powers Bikes this afternoon, I'll help you out."  I figured out where the shop was, which at the time was on the side of this big, old industrial building, where several companies manufactured different products.  When I got there, Steve wasn't there yet, but I met Chad Powers, who is one of the coolest guys in BMX.  

I wound up staying in Richmond for about eight months, and made several trips to Powers during that time.  Both Steve and Chad helped me out a lot personally while I was in Richmond, and I really thank them for all their help.  But that first day, the shop looked like this high roofed place, more a small warehouse than a bike shop, with dozens and dozens of bikes hanging high up on the walls.  

When Chad found out I was a former BMX industry guy who had worked at BMX Action and FREESTYLIN' magazines for a short period of time, he led me into a back room with dozens of binders of magazines.  Much to my surprise, he asked me to sign my first published article, which I wrote as a freelance guy, for FREESTYLIN'.  The article covered the AFA Masters freestyle contest in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in the spring of 1986.  It appeared in the August '86 issue of FREESTYLIN', with the iconic cover featuring a tiny photo of a new ramp rider, Josh White.  

My article wasn't great, by any means.  But it just happened to be the article that Mat Hoffman's first editorial photo was in.  The industry didn't know who Mat was then, and I had to call around to find out his name, after editor Andy Jenkins said they had a great photo of some young kid doing a no footed can-can, which only two people could do then.  They didn't even know Mat's name for the photo caption, but I mentioned him in the article, and he was in the results, winning 14-15 expert.  That contest was amazing for me, and seeing the magazine took me back to the weekend that launched me into the BMX industry, and changed my whole life.  So that's my personal story of Chad's collection taking me back to my own beginnings in BMX.  It's done the same for many other riders before and since.  It will be a trip down memory lane if you visit Powers BMX.

Back out in the main part of the shop, which was more of a small warehouse packed with stuff, I saw a bike way up high that looked almost identical to my first bike.  I told Chad about it.  It happens to be the bike Chad points out in this video, a 1984 or so Skyway T/A, with red Z-Rims and a red pad set.  I didn't realize, until watching this video, that finding that bike cheap started Chad's collection.  Yep, I had a pad set on my "freestyle" bike, because I was still racing when I got that bike.  Chad pulled it down that day, and I got a photo with the bike.  Here's me in 1985, on my second BMX bike, and the first frameset I bought new.
Yes, it's a really dorky photo, shot by my co-worker, Vaughn Kidwell, at the Boise Fun Spot, the summer of 1985.  I learned a bunch of Robert Peterson style balance tricks over that previous Idaho winter, since I couldn't ride outside much.  

While I was in Richmond, Chad told me of his dream to get a bigger shop, and actually be able to have a BMX museum, with his huge collection of bikes, components, jerseys, clothes, magazines, and other things BMX.  When I was about to leave the area, he told me he was looking at a new building.  So it's great to see this video of Chad taking the time to give a tour of the huge collection displayed in the new building.  

For all of you old schoolers and mid schoolers out there, if you have some BMX stuff that's cool and vintage, and you'd like to put it somewhere that lots of other BMXers and see it and appreciate it, think about donating to the Powers BMX museum.  Again, if you're into BMX, and wind up near Richmond, Virginia at some point, go see Chad and the BMX museum, you'll be glad you did.  

Here are a couple of photos I shot at the BMX DIY World Championships jam in 2018, put on by Steve Crandall and Chad Powers, at Powers BMX's old location.  


I had been away from the sport for so long that I don't know who either of these riders are.  If you do know, hit me up on Facebook or email, and let me know.  

* Not a paid link.


I'm doing a lot of my writing on Substack these days, check it out:


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Huntington Beach Pier Bank sessions of 1989

  Here's a great shot of 1970's era skateboarding at the Huntington Beach Pier bank, some variation of a Bertleman or layback slide....