Friday, April 1, 2022

Got a place to live... at last!


Here's a video tour of the abandoned house I'll be moving into next week.

This post was an April Fool's joke, I DID NOT move into a 100,000 square foot, $125 million house for free.  
Almost nobody read the actual post.  It's mid October 2022, as I'm updating this, and I'm still homeless.  I have talked to the housing people.  They gave me two options:  Move into an 8 foot by 8 foot "tiny home" (actually a prefab tool shed with eletricity) with a drunk/tweeker as a roommate, or fake a disability and maybe get into an apartment somewhere by myself.  But then I'd been on record faking a disability.  While there are millions of people in this country doing that right now, I'm not one of them.  So I'm still homeless.  There are no programs for people who just want to work and earn a real living again, particularly people doing creative work.  So I'm still plugging along, selling my Sharpie art, and trying to get othe rideas off the ground that will earn me a decent living.  

As most of you know, my life took a dive about 20 years ago, when I got injured and became a taxi driver.  Then, after the taxi industry began to crash, I've struggled to find any "real" job, and took to doing Sharpie art to make some money and try to get by.  It's been rough.  

But now, as we come out of the pandemic, L.A. is looking to get the homeless population out of sight and under roof.  I just got the call from the housing people this morning that my case has been approved, and they found an abandoned house, up in the hills, that I can move into.  That's it, in the video clip above.  

Yeah, I know, it's a bit gaudy, and not really my style, but beggars can't be choosers, as they say.  It's quite a walk to the nearest bus stop, and dragging groceries home will be a bitch.  But hey, it's a roof over my head.  They said I can even find a few roommates, as long as I think they're cool, and they all qualify for Section 8.  

I'm already thinking of crowdfunding some money to put a mini ramp in the secondary living room, and I'll definitely need to build a pump track, to help me get back in shape.  The car port is a good place for flatland riding, so that will work, even in the rain.  I'm still trying to figure out where to build some dirt jumps.  Yeah, I know, I never could jump for shit, but I'll build some little ones to start.  I can build then
m up as I get back into riding, into better shape, and build my skills up.  

While it's far from perfect, and I do have to pay $200 a month in rent, this place will do for the time being.  I can always move when I find a place a little more to my liking.  Happy April Fool's Day everyone,  I hope you're having a good one.  

Blogger's note- 4/2/2022- This was my April's Fool joke.  Obviously I'm not going to get placed in that crazy house above, for $200 a month.  This monument to ridiculousness, called "The One," was initially put on the market, still not finished, for $500,000,000.  Yes, 500 million bucks, the highest priced house in the U.S..  It didn't sell.  Then the developers lowered the price to $295 million.  It still wasn't finished, and it still didn't sell.  It did finally sell last month at auction (March 2022), for the bargain price of $126 million.  And I'm still homeless.  But it's Spring in L.A., and the mild winter weather is now warmer, and the rainy season, what there was of it, it pretty close to over.  Time to promote and sell some artwork, make some money, and find a place to live. 

I have a new blog, check it out:

The Spot Finder     #thespotfinder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...