Saturday, April 16, 2022

Even more recent Sharpie Scribble Style drawings- 4/16/2022

The Thrasher drawing.  I decided it was time to share my #sharpiescribblestyle with some more people, outside the Old School BMX world.  So I picked an old Thrasher magazine cover, and some pics from Thrasher from the 80's.  The idea was to try and capture the vibe of Thrasher from it's first decade or so, the 1980's and 1990's.  That's Chuck Treece with a layback, my colorization of a black and white photo. I didn't make a copy or scan, and just sent the original to Thrasher.  They also put out Juxtapoz, the coolest art magazine out there.  I had no idea what they would think of my style.  Is it art?  Is it dog shit?  I figured the folks at Thrasher would give me their honest opinion, one way or the other.  This drawing, 18" X 24", got to their office about three weeks ago.  I haven't heard anything yet.  Guess it's time to follow up.  
Sean at H.B. Tuesdays asked me to do this one.  It's the original American motocross legend, Malcom Smith, hauling ass in a panning shot from the late 1960's or early 1970's, I think.  I wasn't sure if I could get the motion to come through in a drawing.  But it turned out pretty well, in my opinion.  These large drawing take me 40-45 hours to draw, on average.  18" X 24".
This is a portrait I just finished and sent out a couple of days ago.  "Papa Jack," for Alma Jo in Texas.  She was one of the first people to buy several drawings from me when I first started selling them, in 2016.  18" X 24".  
Here's a different angle of the Thrasher drawing, showing the layback a bit better.  

 I drew this one, 9" X 12", I think, back in 2019, and sold it to a stand up comic I met while selling my art on Hollywood Boulevard.  "Grind away at ignorance- read, watch, learn, share.  

A couple milestones for this blog.  This is my 800th blog post on this blog, and I'm within a couple dozen page views of hitting 135,000 total page views for this blog.  Cool.  

I have a new blog, check it out:

The Spot Finder      #thespotfinder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...