Monday, December 6, 2021

The BMX stunt riders for the movie E.T.


The first big movie featuring BMX bikes, E.T., came out in June of 1982.  That's really weird for me, personally, because that's within days of when my family moved to a mobile home park outside of Boise, Idaho, which is where I got into BMX.  I thought the movie came out in the Fall.  

In any case, this early Steven Spielberg movie, featuring an 8 or 9-year-old named Drew Barrymore, as well as C. Thomas Howell, and Bob Haro himself as a stunt rider, was a blockbuster hit, and those E.T. Kuwahara BMX bikes were popular for years afterwards.  I didn't get into BMX because of E.T., But the chase scene was the closest thing to a BMX video we had back then.  

Somebody had this article about the unknown BMX stunt riders, "The BMX Boys of E.T.," linked on Facebook, and this is a part of the E.T. story I had never heard before.  I just read it, and it's really interesting if you're an Old School BMXer.  So check it out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...