Friday, March 1, 2019

My Sharpie Scribble Style Art 2005-2019 - #22

 Rock, blues, and the Godfather of soul...  Jimi Hendrix.  I like a good challenge, so I decided to go all out and try to draw one of the most iconic photos of one of the most iconic rock stars of all time.  Hey Joe, what do you think of this one?  This was requested by the couple that bought 8 or 10 drawings from me, and it's now living in Kentucky.  Jimi lighting his guitar on fire at the Monterey Pop Festival.  18" X 24" #sharpiescribblestyle
 While there is rap/hip hop I really like, I'm not a huge fan, generally.  But I'd been wanting to draw this photo of the Notorious B.I.G. for months.  I really like this one.  Where Brooklyn at?  18" X 24"

 I know a girl who lives on a hill...  Three guys, two big beards, three chords most of the time, and 30+ years of kickin' ass with blues and rock.  ZZ Top.  Yes, the lettering on the side is in my scribble style.  I need to do more high quality lettering.  This one was also requested by the couple in Kentucky.  18" X 24" 
 Another blues legend, and the pride of Austin.  In 1987, while I was in Austin for a BMX freestyle contest, we went riding down at Sixth Street one night.  We locked up our bikes in a big pile, and some locals led us into a bar for a few beers.  When we came out, I told them, "Hey, that bluesy guy on the guitar was pretty good."  They freaked.  "Pretty good? That's fuckin' Stevie Ray Vaughn!"  I'd never heard of him.  But I can say I saw him play in a bar, just didn't realize it until later.  Epic.  18" X 24"
 Another one I did for the couple in Kentucky.  It's a man's world.  Or at least it was, when the Godfather of soul was on the stage.  Another one for the couple in Kentucky.  Check out the YouTube video of James Brown with Joss Stone as a guest.  Great clip.  "18" X 24"
 Drawing so many legendary rockers for so many months, I realized I'd never drawn Elvis.  So I found a cool pic and gave it a shot.  The colors wound up kind of weird on this one.  But it did sell.  18" X 24"
This is the last one requested by the couple in Kentucky.  I always prefer live concert photos with hard shadows.  But this was for the woman's mother, a huge Beatles fan, and she wanted this photo drawn.  I was nervous, traditional portraits with good lighting are the hardest to do with my style of drawing.  But this came out really well, and mom was very happy with it. This also reigns at the drawing that took me the longest, about 55 hours of work to make this happen.  Eleanor Rigby is the lyrics in the background.  18" X 24" #sharpiescrbblestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...