Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Dr. Maya Angelou's 90th Birthday Garden Party in Winston-Salem

I'm a bit behind on posting this, here are some photos from the Garden Party and Poetry Jam held to honor Dr. Maya Angelou, on what would have been her 90th birthday.  The event was held at Bailey Park, a new little park in the middle of Winston-Salem's $100 million Innovation Quarter, the high tech incubator area built in and around the old Reynold's cigarette factory in downtown.  The event was put on by a group from Wake Forest University, a driving force behind the Innovation Quarter, and the college where Dr. Angelou taught for many years.  Dr. Angelou died in 2014, and lived here in Winston-Salem during the later years of her life.  Thanks to Rachel White for the photos.

Here's the Winston-Salem Journal online article about the event.  In the video, you can see my drawing on stage near the end when the poet is speaking.  My drawing and I got a mention in the written article.  Pretty cool stuff.

 The woman on the right is Rosa Johnson, Dr Angelou's only niece and her archivist.  I was introduced to her and she was given a small copy of the drawing of Maya Angelou that I drew and that was on stage during the poetry jam.  When I referred to "Maya" while talking to Ms. Johnson, she politely but firmly told me that her aunt preferred to be called "Dr. Angelou."  She said that because so many people could relate to Dr. Angelou's poetry, people who didn't actually know her would come up and say "Maya" and want to hug her.  So she asked those who didn't know her personally to call her Dr. Angelou.  I'm pretty sure Oprah could call her Maya.  Uh... I mean, Ms. Winfrey. 
 Here's a look at the 100 or so people at the event, taken from near the stage.
 The Wake Forest students wrote a few quotes and thoughts about Dr. Angelou with sidewalk chalk, and left the chalk out for the kids to draw with.  I decided to add my shortest poem to the mix on the sidewalk.  "Play:  It's one great play, go find your part, some day you'll realize the world is art."
Here I am on stage next to the drawing I did of Dr. Maya Angelou back in February.  The drawing sold at the Gallery Hop last Friday night, but hasn't been picked up by the new owner yet.  Rachel White, who had the drawing in her studio space, arranged for the drawing to be on stage, and found me at the last minute and talked me into going down to the event.  Glad I did.  The first poem read at the poetry jam was my poem "Become," read by Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...