Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Vicky Vickers, Deanna Caulkins, and Robin Logan- Skateboard Hall of Fame women with my drawings


  1970's era skateboard Hall of Fame women Vicky Vickers, Deanna Caulkins, and Robin Logan, with drawings I did for them.  This happened a while back, but I just found the photo, misfiled in my hard drive.

About 4 or 5 years ago, a friend of mine, who was also a friend of Robin Logan, had me do a drawing for Robin's birthday.  Robin is from the Logan family, that put out the Logan Earth Ski skateboards in the 1960's and 1970's, and they are still putting out boards.  Robin later had me do a couple of other drawings for her, including one for older brother Bruce.  She also had me do these two drawings from classic photos of Vicky Vickers and Deanna Caulkins, when they got inducted into the Skateboard Hall of of Fame.  I was stoked on this project, because these women were teenage girls, already top skaters, tearing it up on skateboards, back when I first got into skateboarding, during the 1970's boom.  It was just a really cool project for me to be a part of.  So that's Vicky, Deanna, and Robin above (L to R), the day she gave them the drawings.  

As I improved, and became a bit better known for my Sharpie Scribble Style, after I started seriously selling drawings in late 2015, I began to get a few special projects.  Yes, they're all cool, but I was asked to do 2 or 3 drawings for people's birthday's, a couple of memorial drawings for people's friends who had died, and then projects like this, for women who were defining skateboarding when I was a kid, just getting into it.  Those are the projects that have more weight, where I really wanted to do my best.  

Like any artist, I'm never 100% happy with any drawing I do.  There are screw-ups in every one, in most cases, that only I notice.  I shade in ink, and I very rarely use any whiteout to touch up.  So I have to blend in any tiny mistakes I make, or start the drawing all over if it's a big enough mistake.  The pressure is on, artistically, in every drawing.  But certain projects hold a bit more pressure.  

In any case, I just found this photo above, misfiled in a folder, and wanted to share it, since it's cool to see women that had a lot of influence in early action sports with my work on their walls.  Thank you Robin Logan for tapping me to do these two drawings.  


Video as we know it now didn't really exist in the 1970's, and there isn't a lot of film of individual skateboarders then.  But here's an intro piece of Deanna Caulkins from her induction into the Skateboarding Hall of Fame.  

Help support my blogs and my writing work on my Patreon page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...