Sunday, August 6, 2017

A whole lot of facts about poverty in rural America


Why did this webinar by Professor Thiede of Penn State University only have 203 views when I watched it?  One reason is that it's full of facts, and a large chunk of our population doesn't care much about facts these days.  For example, if you go to about 24:07, you'll find that a much larger percentage of rural Americans get Social Security Disability than urban Americans.  So, the Democratic spots of the country are literally supporting a huge, non-working chunk of the rural population.  So the facts show that the areas of the country that voted for Donald Trump are also the areas where the highest percentage of people are living off free government money.  Funny, I don't remember Trump mentioning that in any of his speeches.  Before you start trolling, I'm an independent, I vote for the people I think are most likely to improve their area. 

All political crap aside, rural poverty and the rural working poor are a huge issue for the whole country.  How do we come up with good paying, meaningful work for people in rural areas (and small cities and towns)?  It's something we need to work on in a big way, for a bunch of different reasons. 

I listened to this whole webinar, but not all the questions.  There's a lot in here if you're interested in this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...