Saturday, January 13, 2024

Mystery Machine- a poem about that van we all watched as a kid


 Scooby-Doo was my  favorite cartoon as a kid, and I come from Generation X.  We were the kids who spent every Saturday morning in the 1970's as a kid, lying on our stomachs, four feet from the TV, eating our cereal, watching 3 or 4 hours of cartoons, and weird live action kids' shows (like this one).  

Many years ago I was talking to some friends, as adults now, we were trying to figure out just what was going on in that van back then, for the whole week between shows.  They had to be smoking some weed.  It was the 1960's and 1970's, and Shaggy and Scooby were always hungry.  That conversation led to me writing this poem, speculating on what happened back then, in the back of this van.  Here's what I came up with.  

Mystery Machine

Here's a ghost, there's a witch, Scooby's looking for a bitch, 

Shaggy's hiding in the kitchen with a big sandwich


Spooky green, it's a crazy scene

In the back of the Mystery Machine


The van's slower than molasses, Velma lost her glasses

Shaggy's in the back seat, checking out their asses


Spooky green , it's a crazy scene

In the back of the Mystery Machine


It's a van dogpile doing Daphne doggy-style

Velma's got a mouthful of Fred, all the while


Spooky green, it's a crazy scene

In the back of, the Mystery Machine


-The White Bear


I just wrote a big post on my Substack about poems, and my thoughts on writing poetry.  Check it out:

Steve Emig the White Bear's Substack



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog post # 1,000- In 2015, I started really focusing on my creativity...

  Author of several books, including the novel, The Legend of Bagger Vance , and the non-fiction book on creativity, The War of Art , Steven...