Friday, February 24, 2023

February 2023- Blizzard warnings in Southern California... and then an actual blizzard in the mountains


I'm just putting this up for posterity.  I've never seen forecasts of anywhere near this much snow for Southern California mountains.  

Yes, Southern California has some of the best overall weather in the country, most of the year.  I've lived about half my life in SoCal, and I don't remember a  storm like this.  Forecasts of 3 to 5 feet of snow in the San Bernadino mountains, and 5 to 7 feet in the highest SoCal elevations.  Meanwhile, in the valley's and basins, 2 to 7 inches of rain is expected, and has been falling for a few hours as I write this.  
How much is it raining?  I just saw a guy named Noah outside complaining about not finishing his ark because lumber prices went so high a while back.  Crazy weather for everyone these days, even sunny SoCal.  I'll probably add some cool snow videos here in a few days.  

There actually was a light dusting of snow on the Hollywood sign, Cahuenga Peak, which is 1800 feet high.


Cars stuck on Vineland, near Burbank Airport - This is literally 100 yards from the small business I worked at in 1991, when I first lived up in this area.  There's a bank I used to ride my bike on right on the other side of all this water.  I called it the Thorn Bank, because the wind would blow thorns there, and I'd get flats a lot.  It was one of my better riding spots in The Valley BITD.  


Hail in SoCal- I've lived in SoCal 26 years total, I've never seen or heard of hail here.

KTLA Channel 5- 2/25/2023- A bunch of weather footage.



I looked it up, since I was sleeping homeless in the North Hollywood/Studio City area, we had about 3 inches of rain over the weekend, and Woodland Hills, across The Valley had 10 1/2 inches of rain.  Wow.  We don't get a lot of gnarly weather in Southern California, but when we do get it, we get it all at once.  Teetoppling winds, double digit rainfall, hail, a little thunder and lightning, and a blizzard in the local mountains.  Crazy weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment

UCLA-Gaza War/Pro Palestine college protests

  Democracy Now (of WBAI radio NYC/Pacifica Stations), April 30, 2024 report of students at Columbia University occupying Hamilton Hall, the...